No Picture

UK Parliament sleaze row ‘clearing out’ bad behavior

November 5, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP
Mon, 2017-11-06 21:08
ID: 
1509901767263600500

LONDON: British Interior Minister Amber Rudd declared Sunday that a scandal over sexual harassment rocking the country’s political circles was a “watershed moment” that was “clearing out” inappropriate behavior.
She denied that Prime Minister Theresa May’s minority government was at risk after Michael Fallon quit as defense secretary earlier this week and as two other ministers remain under investigation for misconduct.
Rudd told BBC television that the end result of the claims was “clearing out Westminster of that sort of behavior.”
“And I think that Westminster afterward, including the government, will be better for it,” she said.
Fallon announced his resignation on Wednesday after apologizing for touching a journalist’s knee in 2002.
Another journalist alleged this weekend that Fallon had “lunged” at her after a lunch in 2003. She said she reported the incident to Downing Street this week, and he resigned hours later.
May’s de facto deputy Damian Green, meanwhile, is being investigated for his own alleged inappropriate behavior toward a journalist, which he strongly denies.
Rudd confirmed that the probe had been widened to include a newspaper report on Sunday that “extreme” pornographic material had been found on his parliamentary computer in 2008.
Green, an old university friend of May’s, has strongly denied the story in the Sunday Times and accused the police source behind it of trying to cause him political damage.
“I know that the Cabinet Office is going to be looking at this tomorrow along with the wider inquiry about Damian, and I do think that we shouldn’t rush to allege anything until that inquiry has taken place,” Rudd said.
The prime minister is also due to meet with other party leaders on Monday to discuss a new parliamentary complaints system in the wake of a wave of allegations, many involving MPs and junior staff or journalists.
On Friday, she announced a new code of conduct for her own Conservative party — under which three MPs were referred for investigation this weekend.
Another Conservative MP was suspended on Friday, while the opposition Labour party has also suspended one of its lawmakers.
A Scottish minister resigned on Saturday after admitting his behavior “might have made others uncomfortable,” while a Welsh minister was sacked Friday following allegations about his personal conduct.

Main category: 

The post UK Parliament sleaze row ‘clearing out’ bad behavior appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Italy eyes populist party’s performance in Sicily vote

November 5, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP
Mon, 2017-11-06 21:23
ID: 
1509900544443515800

CATANIA, Italy: Sicilians cast their ballots on Sunday in a regional vote seen as a barometer for Italy’s general election next year, with the populist Five Star Movement (M5S) challenging a resurgent right as a divided left flounders.
“The vote is considered decisive not just by the party leaders pounding the streets of the main cities, and not just for the island’s future, but for the future of Italy and even Europe,” editorialist Marcello Sorgi wrote in La Stampa daily.
A victory in Sicily would give M5S its first region, a boost supporters say could propel it all the way to national leadership.
“The choice is simple: Us or them, the future or the past, hope or failure, citizens or traditional political parties,” comedian Beppe Grillo, the movement’s outspoken founder, wrote on his blog.
M5S candidate Giancarlo Cancelleri, 42, is expected to have just one real challenger for the victory podium: Nello Musumeci, 62, who was leading the race in recent opinion polls and could snap up the region for the right.
A bitterly feuding left is expected to fail to get anywhere near the top.
Analysts say the political dynamic on the Mediterranean island mirrors the situation nationally, and the vote is being closely watched in the euro zone’s third-largest economy for indications of how the general election, due before May, will go.
Votes will be counted on Monday. “The polling stations open under a dark cloud, amid controversy over the risk of vote-rigging,” La Repubblica daily said, referring to claims the decision to wait overnight before beginning the count increased the chances of fraud.
The Interior Ministry was tightening controls in response to the fears, it said.
All eyes were on turnout figures, with low participation known to have rewarded M5S in the past. Only 47 percent of Sicily’s eligible voters turned out for the last regional election in 2012, a record low.
A victory for Musumeci could be a boost for billionaire former premier Silvio Berlusconi, who recently shrugged off scandals to return to the political fray, portraying himself as a pro-European moderate and the only real defense against populism.
His center-right Forza Italia (Go Italy) party joined forces with its traditional rightist allies the Northern League and the Brothers of Italy for the Sicily vote — a powerful combination which pollsters say could steal the show at the national elections.
The anti-immigrant Northern League, meanwhile, sees Sicily as a testing ground for expanding its reach beyond Italy’s northern regions.
But the ruling Democratic Party (PD) is braced for an embarrassing defeat that could have serious implications not just for the left nationally but also for Matteo Renzi, the former prime minister who wants his old job back.
“Renzi is preparing for the probable Sicilian nosedive like a man whose enemies are at the door and the supplies are running out,” political commentator Tommaso Ciriaco said in La Repubblica daily.
The 42-year old has been accused of causing a debilitating rift in the left, and has largely abandoned the party’s candidate, Fabrizio Micari, 54, on the campaign trail.

Main category: 

The post Italy eyes populist party’s performance in Sicily vote appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

US extremists fail to build significant networks, act alone

November 5, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP
Sun, 2017-11-05 05:12
ID: 
1509858526401158000

WASHINGTON: Sayfullo Saipov, the radicalized Uzbek who mowed down eight people on a New York bike path, apparently developed his plot in relative isolation, like most other extremist attackers in the United States.
But in Europe many have had community support, an underground network, or even a hard-line Islamist to guide them, as in the twin attacks in Spain in August.
What makes the difference?
Experts say that in part, a better rooted, more affluent US Muslim community shows no tolerance for anyone exhibiting sympathy for causes like the Daesh group or Al-Qaeda.
And tougher and expansive US laws and more aggressive law enforcement than Europe have also made a difference.
Together, they leave aspiring extremists in the United States isolated with their social media links and, at times, just a few friends in the know.
Saipov, who crashed a rented truck down a busy New York bike path Tuesday, is so far believed by investigators to have been “self-radicalized” online without any apparent support inside the United States.
Analysts say that’s because it is much harder to safely find support.
“We tend not to have large clusters in the US…. For the most part you are talking about ones and twos,” said Seamus Hughes, deputy director of the Program on Extremism at George Washington University.
Hughes said one fundamental reason is distance: the country is much farther away from extremist networks and it is much harder to travel to the Middle East because of official no-fly lists.
European Muslims find it much easier to travel to areas where radical groups like Daesh operate.
As a consequence, he said, “We don’t have the kind of in-person recruitment done in Europe.”
Another factor is the expansive use of the charge of “material support of terrorism,” a catch-all that “allows the FBI to interject themselves at an earlier stage than our European partners,” Hughes said.
For critics, the FBI is too aggressive and stretches the law with undercover schemes that entrap people who are not really threats. But the net effect is to prevent them from establishing connections and frightening others thinking of trying to build networks.
According to Daveed Gartenstein-Ross, a senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies think tank, heavier prison sentences in terror cases in the US makes a difference.
US sentences are 15-20 years, compared to four to seven years in Europe, which releases terror convicts back into the community much more quickly. That helps sustain dangerous cells, he said.
That is not to say the United States has not had its own cells or ringleaders, Gartenstein-Ross notes.
Anwar Al-Awlaki, one of the most influential extremist thinkers and propagandists, was born and raised in the United States before he joined Al-Qaeda in Yemen and was killed in a 2011 drone strike.
And in the late 2000s a cell that involved maybe 20 people developed around the Somali community in Minneapolis that became an effective body to recruit people to join Daesh.
“That was clearly a network,” like those in Europe, he said. “They have not been prevented, they still exist.”
The Somali cell more resembled those in Europe, rooted in a more recent, less wealthy, poorly educated immigrant community.
For the most part American Muslim communities are wealthier, and better educated on average than European communities.
That makes them less alienated and better-integrated, according to Corey Saylor, an expert on Islamophobia at the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
US Muslim groups will more readily chase out of the community and the mosque someone who espouses radical ideas.
“If somebody in the congregation is talking about it, they get pushed out fairly quickly. There is no hospitality” for it, he said.
While neither side talks about it much, US Muslim communities have been more willing to report possible threats to law enforcement than in Europe. That was helped by outreach programs under president Barack Obama, according to Gartenstein-Ross.
That may have ebbed under President Donald Trump, however, given his open mistrust of Muslims. “The lack of trust has impeded cooperation; suspicion has likely increased,” he said.

Main category: 
related_nodes: 
New York attacker one of our soldiers, Daesh claims
Saudi King Salman, crown prince condemn New York attack
New York attack puts counterterror measures, immigration under focus

The post US extremists fail to build significant networks, act alone appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

3 hours wait to enter Bahrain on payday weekend

November 5, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sat, 2017-11-04 21:43
ID: 
1509845346610546700

DAMMAM: A traffic jam at the King Fahd Causeway Bridge connecting Saudi Arabia and Bahrain stretched to an unprecedented distance on Thursday and Friday, but passport and customs teams in the Eastern Province provided no explanation.

Sources told Al-Hayat newspaper that the jam started at 11 a.m. on Thursday and gradually increased until the early hours of the night. Completing travelers’ procedures took more than three hours.

“Many travelers were unable to return because they got trapped by the large number of vehicles and were thus forced to wait for long hours,” Al-Hayat’s sources added. “The King Fahd Causeway Bridge customs mobilized all their staff when the jam started last Thursday, but their measures failed in the face of the extreme two-day traffic congestion.”

The sources speculated that three reasons were behind this incident: The private sector’s payday coincided with the weekend; the first phase of the largest shopping mall in Bahrain was recently launched; and Bahrain’s customs started using a new system for completing travelers’ procedures.

Twitter users shared photos and video footage of travelers and the traffic congestion that spanned over several kilometers.

Main category: 
related_nodes: 
Record number of travelers cross King Fahd Causeway over Eid
King Fahd Causeway records 107,000 crossings in one day
With Eid crowding, it takes 4 hours to cross King Fahd Causeway

The post 3 hours wait to enter Bahrain on payday weekend appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Trump: No regime should underestimate American resolve

November 5, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
AFP
Sun, 2017-11-05 05:37
ID: 
1509850000770769200

YOKOTA Air Base: President Donald Trump warned on Sunday that “no dictator, no regime” should underestimate the US, as he kicked off an Asian tour likely to be dominated by the threat posed by North Korea.
“No one, no dictator, no regime… should underestimate American resolve,” Trump told cheering servicemen at the Yokota Air Base on his arrival in Japan.
Trump had earlier described Japan as a “treasured partner and crucial ally of the US,” as Asian partners look for reassurance that Washington will back them if conflict with North Korea were to break out.
The president was speaking at the start of a marathon Asian tour that will take in five countries, starting with a trip to Japan to visit his “friend” Shinzo Abe.
Before touching down, Trump had announced to reporters on Air Force One that he was expecting to meet his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin during the trip, as the international community strives for a solution to the North Korea crisis.
“I think it’s expected we’ll meet with Putin, yeah. We want Putin’s help on North Korea, and we’ll be meeting with a lot of different leaders,” said Trump.

Main category: 
related_nodes: 
Trump heads to Japan with North Korea on his mind
North Korea rules out negotiations as Trump heads to Asia
Netanyahu: A nuclear Iran ‘infinitely more dangerous’ than North Korea

The post Trump: No regime should underestimate American resolve appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Cabinet reshuffle, crackdown on corruption in Saudi Arabia

November 4, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
Arab News
Sun, 2017-11-05 05:09
ID: 
1509837502897565200

JEDDAH: King Salman announced two key changes in the Saudi Cabinet and ordered the formation of a super committee to combat corruption. The committee is to be headed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
In its first decision, the committee ordered the arrests of a number of princes and big businessmen for their involvement in corruption in different cases.
The two key changes in the Cabinet were that of National Guard Minister Miteb bin Abdullah, who was replaced by Prince Khaled bin Ayyaf, and Economy Minister Adel Fakieh, who was replaced by Mohammed Al-Tuwaijri.
Commander of the Navy, Abdullah Al-Sultan, was relieved of his position and has been replaced by Adm. Fahad Al-Ghofaili.
Besides the crown prince, the committee comprises heads of the Anti-Corruption Commission (Nazaha), Public Security, General Prosecutor and the Investigation Authority.
The job of the new anti-corruption committee will be to “identify offenses, crimes, persons and entities involved in cases of public corruption,” the royal decree said.
The committee is empowered to investigate, issue arrest warrants and travel bans, order financial disclosure and the freezing of accounts and portfolios, track funds and assets and prevent their remittance or transfer by persons and entities.
“The committee has the right to take any precautionary measures it sees fit, until they are referred to the investigating authorities or judicial bodies,” said the decree.
“It may take whatever measures deemed necessary to deal with those involved in public corruption cases and take what it considers to be the right of persons, entities, funds, fixed and movable assets, at home and abroad, return funds to the state treasury and register property and assets in the name of state property.”

Main category: 

The post Cabinet reshuffle, crackdown on corruption in Saudi Arabia appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Two Saudi ministers and navy chief replaced, crown prince leads new anti-graft committee

November 4, 2017 rbksa 0
Author: 
ARAB NEWS
Sun, 2017-11-05 03:00
ID: 
1509836786517536500

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia launched a crackdown on public corruption on Saturday and apppointed new ministers for the National Guard and for economy and planning.

National Guard Minister Miteb bin Abdullah was dismissed and replaced by Prince Khaled bin Ayyaf. Economy and Planning Minister Adel Fakeih was dismissed and replaced by Mohammed Al-Tuwaijri.
The Commander of the Navy, Adm. Abdullah Al-Sultan, was relieved of his position and replaced by Fahad Al-Ghofaili, who is promoted to the rank of Admiral.
King Salman also ordered the formation of a new anti-corruption committee headed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and comprising the chairman of the Monitoring and Investigation Commission, the chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Authority, the chief of the General Audit Bureau, the Attorney General and the head of State Security.
“We have noticed exploitation by some weak souls who have put their own interests above the public interest, in order to illicitly accrue money,” the king said.
The job of the new anti-corruption committee will be to “identify offenses, crimes, persons and entities involved in cases of public corruption,” he said.
The committee is empowered to investigate, issue arrest warrants and travel bans, order financial disclosure and the freezing of accounts and portfolios, track funds and assets and prevent their remittance or transfer by persons and entities.
“The committee has the right to take any precautionary measures it sees fit, until they are referred to the investigating authorities or judicial bodies,” the king said.
“It may take whatever measures deemed necessary to deal with those involved in public corruption cases and take what it considers to be the right of persons, entities, funds, fixed and movable assets, at home and abroad, return funds to the state treasury and register property and assets in the name of state property.
“The committee may seek the assistance of those it deems necessary and may set up teams for investigation, prosecution, etc., and may delegate some or all of its powers to these teams.”
When its tasks are complete, the king ordered the committee to submit a detailed report to him on its findings and what actions it had taken.

Main category: 

The post Two Saudi ministers and navy chief replaced, crown prince leads new anti-graft committee appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Two Saudi ministers and navy chief replaced, crown prince leads new anti-graft committee

November 4, 2017 rbksa 0

Author: ARAB NEWSSun, 2017-11-05 03:00ID: 1509836786517536500JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia launched a crackdown on public corruption on Saturday and apppointed new ministers for the National Guard and for economy and planning.
National Guard Minister …

The post Two Saudi ministers and navy chief replaced, crown prince leads new anti-graft committee appeared first on Forex news forex trade.