No Picture

Egypt army launches widest offensive on Rafah in years

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

The Egyptian army launched the widest offensive on southern Sinai governorate of Rafah in five years last week, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed reported yesterday. Al-Araby Al-Jadeed said that the offensive had caused a wide wave of displacement as scores of families left their homes in the targeted areas towards cities in Al-Arish. Due to the heavy army bombardment, the families were unable to take their belongings. The tribal sources reported that heavy clashes took place between the Egyptian army and the armed militias believed to be from Wilayat Sinai, a militant group affiliated to Daesh. Medical sources told Al-Araby Al-Jadeed that the arbitrary shelling caused the death of 25 women and a child from the targeted areas. In addition, the sources said […]

The post Egypt army launches widest offensive on Rafah in years appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

2 arrested after raping, killing mentally ill minor in Morocco

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Two individuals were arrested last week on suspicion of raping a mentally ill minor, causing her death. The victim’s body was discovered on Monday last week in front of the Moulay Baghdad cemetery in the city of Zeghanghane in the Nador province. Local authorities in Nador arrested the two people for “their alleged involvement in a case of luring a minor girl, not assisting someone in danger, and the concealment of the corpse of the victim,” according to a statement from the Directorate General of National Security (DGSN). According to the authority’s investigation, the individuals aged 22 and 23, took the victim to a discreet location where they allegedly raped her before “she was seized with a discomfort which caused […]

The post 2 arrested after raping, killing mentally ill minor in Morocco appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

57 human rights groups call for UN inquiry in to Yemen

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Fifty-seven human rights groups have demanded that a United Nations inquiry takes place on abuses in Yemen, Human Rights Watch reported. The human rights groups called upon the UN Human Rights Council to create an independent inquiry to document the abuses by all parties to the Yemen war. A joint letter mentioned the dire humanitarian crisis and famine amid a civil war. Some 5,110 civilians have been killed since March 2015 and at least 8,719 wounded in the civil war, according to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). Human Rights Council shouldn’t fold to pressure 3rd time. #HRC36 should ensure #YemenInquiryNow https://t.co/2mC8uEAjnO — Philippe Bolopion (@Bolopion) August 29, 2017 The call for an inquiry comes off […]

The post 57 human rights groups call for UN inquiry in to Yemen appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Appalachian natural gas processing capacity key to increasing natural gas, NGPL production

August 29, 2017 Today in Energy 0

Natural gas processing capacity in the Appalachian region has grown dramatically over the past several years as producers try to keep pace with increasing natural gas production in the region. Natural gas processing plays a key role in the natural gas …

The post Appalachian natural gas processing capacity key to increasing natural gas, NGPL production appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Somalia: 10 civilians killed in US-Somalia raid

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Ten civilians were killed during a United States and Somalia Special Forces raid last week according to locals, UPI reported yesterday. The raid was conducted on a village near Bariire in search for Al-Shabaab fighters associated with Al-Qaeda. US Africa Command are still conducting a post-raid investigation into the incident. The attack went on to kill innocent farmers working on their field. Garowe Online named the farmers as: Ali Aden Ahmed, Abdifitah Yusuf Abdi, Juruum Mohamud Yusuf, Saney Jama Warsame, Ali Abdi Ibrahim, Abdulkadir Abdullahi Dirie, Isack Ali Harun, Mohamud Talasow Abdi, Hussein Khamis Moalim Abdi and Mohamud Mohamed Abdi. “We are aware of the civilian casualty allegations near Bariire, Somalia. We take any allegations of civilian casualties seriously, and […]

The post Somalia: 10 civilians killed in US-Somalia raid appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Spain minister visits Morocco after Barcelona attack

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Spanish Interior Minister Juan Inacio Zoido will pay a visit to Morocco today to hold talks with his Moroccan counterpart Abdelouafi Laftit. “This visit will be characterised by high-level talks on the investigation of recent attacks in Catalonia, in which Morocco cooperates closely with the Spanish security services,” the Spanish Interior Ministry said in a statement. The report added that Zoido stressed that “cooperation with Morocco in the fight against terrorism is sincere and excellent, in addition to being necessary.” The visit was “another embodiment of the distinguished relations between Spain and Morocco in the security field, especially in the fight against terrorism, as well as organised crime and human smuggling,” the statement added. According to the Interior Ministry, a series […]

The post Spain minister visits Morocco after Barcelona attack appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Militants shutdown three oilfields in Libya

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Gunmen have closed down three oilfields in Libya, prompting the state-run National Oil Corporation (NOC) to stop production, official sources reported on Sunday.A local oil source said that a militant brigade from Libya’s western region of Zintan closed two valves on a pipeline to Sharara oilfield, the largest in A local oil source said that a militant brigade from Libya’s western region of Zintan closed two valves on a pipeline to Sharara oilfield, the largest in country, demanding more fuel supplies and better economic conditions for their region. NOC declared force majeure on Sharara crude from the Zawiya oil terminal. It has also declared force majeure on the Mellitah crude exports, due to a blockade on the pipeline that was carried out […]

The post Militants shutdown three oilfields in Libya appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Netanyahu on settlements: ‘We’re here to stay forever’

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed not to evacuate any settlements in the West Bank of their Zionist occupiers, according to the Times of Israel. At an event in the illegal settlement of Barkan yesterday, commemorating 50 years of Israel’s occupation of the West Bank, Netanyahu addressed the crowd, proclaiming: We’re here to stay forever. This is the inheritance of our ancestors. This is our land. Amid the re-starting of peace negotiations just last week, Netanyahu alleged that stopping settlement activity would not help bring peace, despite the issue being a core demand of Palestinians. “There will be no more uprooting of settlements in the land of Israel. It has been proven that it does not help peace. We’ve […]

The post Netanyahu on settlements: ‘We’re here to stay forever’ appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Pollution threatens the Ahwazi Arabs of Iran

The Ahwazi Arabs live in southern Iran. Activists in the Ahwazi region have circulated images of what they call an environmental tragedy affecting the area, including the Falahiyeh wetlands, which are vital for the livelihood of thousands of Ahwazis. Iranian officials claim that the environmental disaster revealed by the photographs has been caused by high temperatures. These claims have been refuted by Jassim Moramazi, a professor specialising in environmental affairs, who insisted that high temperatures alone could not account for the dead fish and the rising salinity of the water. “We don’t know exactly why these fish have died,” he explained, “but we do know that they have started to disappear since the oil companies initiated their projects in Ahwaz.” […]

The post Pollution threatens the Ahwazi Arabs of Iran appeared first on aroundworld24.com.

No Picture

Families of detained Hirak Rif members vow to boycott Eid

August 29, 2017 Middle East Monitor 0

The families of detainees from the Popular Movement have vowed not to celebrate the Islamic festival of Eid this week in protest of their family members’ detention. The families released a statement stating that that they would not celebrate Eid until their family members are released from their imprisonment in Casablanca. “We do not boycott the Eid ritual, but we refuse to celebrate it while our innocent brothers, sons and fathers are in prison,” they said in the statement published on Al Aoual news site. The families have said they will not take part in the animal sacrifice but will attend the prayer and visit their relatives, as is customary. However the detainees have expressed their wish for their families to make a […]

The post Families of detained Hirak Rif members vow to boycott Eid appeared first on aroundworld24.com.